NEW YORK —  After years of breathless anticipation – at least on the part of the tabloids – Jennifer Aniston is finally ready to wed again.

Her representative, Stephen Huvane, confirmed Sunday night that the actress is engaged to her boyfriend of more than a year, Justin Theroux.

“Justin Theroux had an amazing birthday on Friday, receiving an extraordinary gift when his girlfriend, Jennifer Aniston, accepted his proposal of marriage,” said Theroux’s rep in a statement to People, which first reported the engagement.

Theroux, 41, and Aniston, 43, have known each other for years, but started dating more than a year ago after working on the comedy “Wanderlust.” Though that film disappeared quickly from movie theaters after its release earlier this year, the relationship clearly proved to have more staying power. The two moved in together and tabloids soon began predicting everything from marriage to babies for the new couple.

Aniston had been a part of such speculation for years, ever since the demise of her marriage to Brad Pitt after a five-year union in 2005. While Pitt moved on to a long-term relationship with Angelina Jolie, Aniston had high-profile relationships with the likes of John Mayer and Vince Vaughn that didn’t last, leading to the common narrative: When will Jen find someone or have a child?

It’s a theme that irked the former “Friends” actress.

“It’s very narrow-minded, I think. It doesn’t measure the level or my happiness or success in my life and my achievements or any of that,” she told “CBS This Morning” earlier this year. In the same interview, she said she was happier than she’d ever been.

This will be Theroux’s first marriage. It’s not clear if a wedding date for the couple had been set.

Aniston’s engagement comes four months after Pitt and Jolie announced their engagement.

 

Suspects cook up breakout plan that flops

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. – At least two suspects tried to break into a Marin County juvenile detention facility in what investigators believe was an unsuccessful attempt to free a teenager accused of stealing a celebrity chef’s Lamborghini, authorities said Friday.

The attempted break-in happened at Marin County Juvenile Hall about 4:30 a.m. Friday when staff heard banging on the walls and saw “at least two people out there with a sledgehammer,” said Sheriff’s Lt. Barry Heying.

The suspects fled before more than 40 deputies and other officers arrived at the scene and searched the buildings and neighborhood.

Investigators believe the suspects were trying to free Max Wade, who is charged with stealing TV chef Guy Fieri’s $200,000 yellow Lamborghini from a San Francisco car dealership in March 2011. The San Rafael teen also faces attempted-murder charges for allegedly trying to gun down a couple in Mill Valley in April.

Wade has pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder, vehicle theft, burglary and other crimes. Charged as an adult, he could face up to 30 years in prison if convicted of all counts.

Wade turned 18 Friday and was scheduled to be transferred to the county’s adult jail.

Investigators found holes cut into two perimeter fences, a sledgehammer, bolt cutters and a damaged window at Wade’s cell, according to the Marin Independent Journal. They also discovered a backpack that contained a change of clothes.

Authorities did not have evidence Friday that Wade helped plan the operation, but the investigation is ongoing. Prosecutors said he could face additional charges if he is linked to the breach.

Michael Daly, the county’s chief probation officer, said he plans to review security at Juvenile Hall, but said it’s impossible to hammer through the building’s concrete walls and extra-thick windows.

“Everyone should know it’s not very easy to break into a detention facility,” he said.

U.S. Open nets Idol to add ‘Sparkle’

NEW YORK – “American Idol” winner Jordin Sparks will headline the opening-night program Aug. 27 at the U.S. Open tennis tournament.

Sparks will perform a song from her upcoming movie, “Sparkle,” which includes the late Whitney Houston’s final screen performance. Sparks also will sing the national anthem.

Houston appeared at the 1997 grand opening of Arthur Ashe Stadium, the main court at the U.S. Open.

Sparks won the TV singing competition “American Idol” as a teenager in 2007, then sang the national anthem at the Super Bowl the next year.

Her father, Phillippi Sparks, was a defensive back in the NFL.

Billy Graham in hospital for bronchitis

ASHEVILLE, N.C. — A spokesman for Billy Graham says the 93-year-old evangelist is being treated at a North Carolina hospital for bronchitis.

According to a joint statement Sunday from Graham’s spokesman and Mission Hospital, Graham was admitted overnight for an infection in his lungs. The hospital is in Asheville, near his home in Montreat.

He is resting comfortably in stable condition.

Graham spokesman Larry Ross said the evangelist watched a television feed of his grandson Will Graham preaching Sunday morning in Spartanburg, S.C. He ate lunch with his daughter Gigi Graham Tchividjian and another one of his grandchildren.

Graham was hospitalized for pneumonia last November. His staff said the evangelist’s health has been good since his release, though he remains at home due to age-related conditions. He is working on a manuscript for an upcoming book.

— From news service reports