CAPE ELIZABETH — A Saco man was injured Wednesday morning when he poured gasoline on a brush fire outside a home off of Valley Road.

Jay Moores, 42, suffered first- and second-degree burns and was taken to Maine Medical Center, according to the state Fire Marshal’s Office.

Moores was burning a brush pile for a friend when he emptied the contents of an old automobile’s gas tank on the fire, according to the fire marshall’s office.

Police Chief Neil Williams said the homeowners had a permit for the fire. The home is on Harvest Road, a private road off of Valley Road.