No one hurt when ferry, fishing boat collide offshore

No one was hurt when two boats collided about a mile off North Haven Friday night.

The boats, including the Jacob Pike, a 72-foot fishing vessel, and the Jackie Irene, a 35-foot ferry with three passengers on board, collided about 8:35 p.m. The names of the boat owners were not immediately available.

U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Nick Barrow said the fishing boat received the most damage but both boats were able to make it to shore in Rockland without assistance.

Barrow said collisions involving two large vessels are unusual. The Coast Guard is investigating the cause of the accident.


Separate ATV crashes send woman, man to hospitals

New Hampshire officials say separate ATV crashes in Coos County sent two people to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The first crash occurred Saturday afternoon near the summit of Shatney Mountain in Pittsburg. The Fish and Game Department says an ATV being driven by 57-year-old Lucinda Cody of South Weymouth, Mass., rolled over into a ditch while she was trying to make a turn on a steep portion of trail.

The second crash occurred an hour and half later on Ridge Road in Stewartstown. Conservation officers say an ATV driven by 53-year-old Michael Jenness of Plymouth rolled over as he braked sharply to turn around on the gravel road.

Both Cody and Jenness were taken to Upper Connecticut Valley Hospital. Cody was later transferred to Littleton Hospital.


One dead, two badly injured as small plane crashes, burns

A small plane crashed near a small airstrip in Falmouth on Saturday, killing one person who was trapped in the aircraft and leaving two passengers with life-threatening injuries.

Holly Baker of the Federal Aviation Administration says the plane left Tweed-New Haven Airport in Connecticut and crashed at 11:02 a.m. while attempting to land at Falmouth Air Park.

The Falmouth Fire Department says the injured victims were taken by medical helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital for treatment of burn wounds.

The crash sparked a fire in the woods at the air park, which is near Fresh Pond Road.

Baker says the Cirrus SR22 aircraft was badly burned. The FAA is investigating.

The identities of those involved in the crash were not immediately known.

— From news service reports