Youth rescued from river after report by passer-by

A young boy from Bath was rescued from the Kennebec River Saturday after he became stranded on an ice floe.

Authorities said a passer-by spotted the 13-year-old around 3:45 p.m. and notified Bath police.

Police Chief Michael Field said the river current, which was on an outgoing tide, was strong when a team of rescuers from the local police and fire departments arrived.

Field said the boy had become trapped on a large piece of ice about 15 feet from shore. Firefighters laid a ladder from a stationary piece of ice to reach the boy. The boy used the ladder to crawl to safety.

Field said the boy had fallen in the cold river and was wet from the waist down. He was treated and released to his father after being evaluated at the scene.

“The situation could have easily been tragic if it were not for the resident who saw the boy and the quick rescue efforts of the Bath Fire Department,” Field said in a statement.


Manufacturer to move into airfield building

Construction of a new manufacturing building at the former Navy base in Brunswick is complete, and a company based in Sweden is ready to move into its new headquarters.

The Midcoast Regional Redevelopment Authority, which is overseeing redevelopment of the former Brunswick Naval Air Station, will hand over the keys to the building on Friday.

Molnlycke Health Care, a Swedish medical device and wound care manufacturer, expects to create about 50 jobs once its manufacturing facility is fully up and running later this year.

The redevelopment authority recently completed $15 million in work on the 79,000-square-foot facility for Molnlycke. The company will lease the facility.

Friday’s ceremony at Brunswick Landing will begin at 11 a.m. at the new building on Admiral Fitch Avenue.


Fourth suspect arrested in home invasion probe

A man wanted in connection with a home invasion last week was arrested Sunday afternoon.

Danny Green, 27, a transient from the Waterville area, was arrested at the home of a friend in Winslow by Maine State Trooper Bethany Robinson.

Green and three others are charged with breaking into the home of a 72-year-old Unity woman in the middle of the night and stealing money.

Green was taken to Waldo County Jail in Belfast, according to state police.


Man’s body discovered after fire at mobile home

Officials say a 36-year-old man has died in a fire in northern Maine.

The state fire marshal’s office is investigating the fire at a mobile home in Presque Isle that was discovered about 4:30 a.m. Sunday.

Officials say they found a body inside the burned-out home believed to be Shawn Whitington, who lived there with his girlfriend and their 4-year-old daughter.

Authorities say the girlfriend, Tricia Ciccolella, and the daughter were not at home when the fire broke out.

Ciccolella discovered the fire when she returned home with friends.


Ice becoming unstable, Warden Service warns

The Maine Warden Service is issuing a warning to anyone who might venture onto ice, saying it is quickly becoming unstable.

Wardens remind everyone on or around ice to test the thickness using an ice chisel or ice auger and check with local bait shops for known thin ice areas.

Ice that forms over flowing water and currents, especially near streams, bridges and culverts, can be particularly dangerous.

Even last week, officials said the ice was retreating in many areas.