FALMOUTH – Griffin Thoreck scored with 16.8 seconds remaining in overtime to lift Cape Elizabeth to an 11-10 win over Falmouth in a Western Maine Conference boy’s lacrosse game played Monday night.

Thoreck’s goal capped a furious second-half comeback for the Capers, who trailed 8-3 in the latter stages of the third quarter.

“We played a game against North Yarmouth Academy earlier this season and we kind of lost our edge when we fell behind,” said Alex Bornick, who assisted on the game-winner.

“In this game I think the team showed a lot of mental strength and stability and kept with it. We didn’t get too down on ourselves and we just played our game.”

Bornick, who paced Cape with four goals and two assists, started the comeback with just under two minutes left in the third quarter when he capitalized on a turnover to halt a five-goal run by the Yachtsmen.

The goal left Falmouth ahead 8-4 heading into the fourth quarter. The visitors continued to roll in the final period as they scored four unanswered goals in the opening 51/2 minutes to even the count at 8-8.

The teams traded goals for the final six minutes of regulation — Charlie Fay had a pair for Falmouth and Justin Cary answered with two for Cape — to send the game into an extra four minutes of sudden-death play tied at 10-10.

What made the outcome even more unlikely was the fact that the Capers (2-1) played shorthanded to close out regulation and continued all the way into the second minute of overtime.

“Our defense overall was outstanding and they worked really hard,” said Cape Elizabeth Coach Ben Raymond.

“We didn’t know if we were going to be able to sustain that for a full game but they were able to do that, which was real nice.”

Falmouth (1-2) appeared to have created a comfortable distance from the Capers with a powerful six-minute stretch from late in the opening half and into the third quarter.

The surge began when Chris Samaras put the home side ahead 4-3 with 6.9 seconds in the half.

I.V. Stucker welcomed the second half with two goals in just over a minute and Fay, who finished with six goals and an assist, followed with two more before the halfway point of the quarter to give the Yachtsmen an 8-3 lead.

“Cape is so good against us when they are playing from behind,” said Falmouth Coach Mike LeBel. “They don’t panic.

“I never felt that it was enough because in the past we’ve had games where we’ve been ahead by several goals and it’s just never safe.”

Cary, who had a goal waved off midway through overtime when he was ruled in the crease, finished with four goals for the Capers while Cam Wilson and Jake Lynch netted the others.

Brad Gilbert netted the other goal for the Yachtsmen, who suffered their second overtime loss in three games this season.