CAPE ELIZABETH – Ultimately this was just one game. There were no titles on the line, no hardware to be carried off by the victors.

That’s just about all that was missing.

Midfielder Walker Foehl scored four goals and an assist, and attack Sadie Cole had a goal and four assists to lead Waynflete to a 10-8 victory over Cape Elizabeth in a Western Class B girls’ lacrosse game Wednesday night at Hannaford Field.

Martha Veroneau had two goals, Ella Millard had a goal and an assist, and Isabel Agnew and Cat Johnson had a goal apiece as the Flyers improved to 4-0.

Tally Perkins led the Capers (3-1) with three goals. Hannah Newall had two goals, Abby McInerney had a goal and an assist, and Elizabeth Robinson and Lauren Steidl had one goal each.

Kate Bosworth had seven saves for the Capers; Katherine Torrey had eight saves for the Flyers.

This was a much-anticipated rematch of the 2012 regional final. In that game the Flyers roared back from a 6-3 halftime deficit to win in triple overtime 11-10, and went on to win the state title.

Adding to the anticipation, this game was set as a season opener April 12 but was postponed by bad weather.

Before the game, Cole said, “We reminded ourselves to stay calm, be collected, and we were. We were fired up but we didn’t make stupid mistakes.”

The Flyers opened a 4-0 lead in the opening 13:42. Steidl countered for Cape, winning her own draw and steaming in on goal to make it 4-1.

The Flyers, who held a sizable edge in possession, rode their stellar defense, led by Rhiannan Jackson, Amelia Deady and Catherine Veroneau, who neutralized Cape’s fast-break attack.

“Our zone (defense) is a really a brick this year,” Cole said. “We knew from experience how fast a game could change, and it did.”

Boy, did it.

“We knew they would catch up,” said Waynflete Coach Cathie Connors. “We had to calm down and keep playing a solid game. Tonight we wanted to see how we measured up. Both teams are solid.”

Perkins and Newhall cut the deficit to 5-3 with 2:20 to go before Foehl scored her third of the game at the halftime buzzer for a 6-3 lead.

Goals by Veroneau and Millard pushed the Flyers’ lead to 8-3 before Newhall made it 8-4. Cole cut across the middle to push the lead to 9-4 with 14:33 left.

Then came the test: Four straight Cape goals in a three-minute span cut it to 9-8 with 8:26 left.

“We knew we had to keep playing for every minute,” Cole said.

Foehl iced it for the Flyers, finishing a dodge and roll through the 12-meter arc with about six minutes left for a 10-8 lead.

Still, the Capers never gave up. And both teams knew it.

“I’m really excited about the heart we showed,” said Cape Coach Jeff Perkins. “We’ll learn from this and hopefully we’ll do better next time. This is game one of hopefully three games we’ll play against them. We knew we couldn’t get too high or too low.”