AUGUSTA — An Augusta man rescued from a burning apartment building Sunday morning is in critical condition.

John Murray, 62, of Augusta, was listed in critical condition at Maine Medical Center in Portland Tuesday morning.

Murray was helped out through a window by a passer-by during the fire at 26 Pleasant St. The fire left 14 people homeless.

Fire Chief Roger Audette said Murray suffered smoke inhalation and burns.

Other tenants of the building said Murray is a Vietnam veteran who has impaired vision. He has lived in a first-floor apartment in the building for six years, tenants said.

Ken MacMaster, an investigator with the state Fire Marshal’s Office, said the fire started in Murray’s apartment and was cooking-related. He classified the fire as an accident.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.