– The Associated Press

BURLINGTON, Vt. – The Vermont Health Department is reminding people not to pick up wild animals.

The warning comes after 11 people and several pets were recently exposed to the saliva of a baby skunk that appeared abandoned, and was rescued from the side of a road. The skunk later tested positive for rabies.

Public Health Veterinarian Robert Johnson said everyone who was exposed, including six children, underwent a series of rabies vaccinations as a preventive measure.

Johnson said the tendency is to want to rescue the animal, but the advice is to leave it alone.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.