DETROIT – Maine State Police on Friday identified a man found dead in his home early Thursday as 47-year-old Ricky Cole, and authorities still consider the death suspicious.

Cole had lived in a mobile home at 24 Main St. for about a year and lived elsewhere in the area before that, according to Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety.

Cole’s mother, who lives in New Hampshire, was notified of her son’s death overnight Thursday, McCausland said. Detectives continued to gather evidence and conduct interviews Friday.

An autopsy was scheduled to be performed Friday at the state medical examiner’s office in Augusta.

According to Somerset County Jail records, Cole was booked on June 24 on a warrant for failure to appear in court on a charge of criminal threatening.

The criminal threatening charge was filed in connection with an incident May 4 at the Pittsfield Motor Inn, according to Skowhegan District Court records.

Cole pleaded guilty to the charge and was sentenced to 180 days in jail, with all but 48 hours suspended, and one year of probation, according to court records.

Somerset County sheriff’s deputies and Pittsfield police were called to the Detroit home just after 3 a.m. Thursday for a report of a man who was found dead. Detective Lt. Carl Gottardi said when they arrived, they found Cole’s body and called Maine State Police, who handle most homicides in Maine.

Later, a member of the State Police Evidence Response Team was seen leaving a mobile home on Dogtown Road in neighboring Palmyra carrying paper shopping bags marked as evidence. Police said the activity in Palmyra was related to the Detroit death, but would not comment further. 

Amy Calder can be contacted at 861-9247 or at:

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.