FALMOUTH — Luke Velas scored with 26.5 seconds left in double overtime to give Falmouth a 2-1 over Kennebunk Tuesday night in a Western Maine Conference boys’ soccer game.

Falmouth captain Nick Burton took a throw-in from the right flank that bounced around the box and landed on the foot of Velas, who buried the goal.

“We ran a play, our cluster, and got a flick on it,” said Velas, a junior forward who scored nine goals last season. “One of their defenders deflected it back to me, and I just hit it right in. We had to continue on with our game plan. With a few minutes left, you have to get it in the box. We did that and it opened up opportunities.”

Falmouth (2-0) failed to match the speed and intensity of Kennebunk (1-1) early on, finishing the first half without a shot on goal.

Kennebunk grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 26th minute when senior Robby Burns took a free kick from the top left corner of the box that went off Falmouth goalkeeper Will D’Agostino (five saves) and into the net. It was his fourth goal of the season.

“It was a lovely goal,” Kennebunk Coach Nate Bean said. “Robby’s a talented kid, and if he can do stuff like that for us this year, it’s going to help a lot. That was pretty.”

After letting Kennebunk dictate play in the first half, the Yachtsmen controlled the action for much of the game’s latter stages, outshooting the Rams 9-2 after the first half.

“I liked that we got down by a goal and we didn’t quit,” Falmouth Coach Dave Halligan said. “A young team sometimes gets a little bit dejected. But they didn’t play with their heads down, they came out with a new spirit and they knew they could be successful.

“We’ve got a young team. We’re still developing, trying to find our roles, our niches. Right now everybody tries to do too many things themselves. Once we settled in and played as a team, we actually played better after we got tired.”

D’Agostino made a save in the 44th minute that led to a Falmouth fast break. Velas dribbled around Kennebunk goalie Ben Wilson (three saves) and scored but he was ruled offsides and the goal was negated.

Ten minutes later, Falmouth sophomore Nigel Dunn took a corner kick that curved around the post and went through the hands of Wilson to tie the game.

“I wasn’t expecting a goal,” Dunn said. “There’s not usually a goal scored off a corner kick without anybody else touching it. But I was very happy when it went in. It was my first varsity goal.”

The teams will meet again at Kennebunk on Oct. 16 during the last week of the regular season.

“We look forward to having them again,” Bean said. “We knew what we were getting coming up here. We knew we were going against the defending Class B state champs on their home field, and we came up here to win a match.

“We didn’t quite get the job done, but we played them tough, and they’ll know where we are on the schedule the next time around.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.