SOUTH PORTLAND — A fire that broke out Sunday afternoon in an apartment dwelling at 24 Liberty Lane in South Portland is being blamed on the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Lt. Robb Couture said residents of the apartment building called the Fire Department around 3:22 p.m. with reports of black smoke and flames coming from the third floor.

When crews arrived they found light smoke in a third floor apartment and a small fire burning on the porch. The fire, which was quickly put out, was confined to the porch. No one was injured.

Couture said the fire is a reminder to the public to take precautions when disposing of cigarettes, and to use approved containers.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.