YARMOUTH — Yarmouth nailed down home-field advantage for the entire Western Class B boys’ soccer tournament in convincing fashion Wednesday night.

The unbeaten Clippers did it by rolling to a 4-1 victory against Greely in a Western Maine Conference game.

Yarmouth, which entered the game as the top-ranked team in the Western Class B Heal point standings, improved to 10-0-3. The Rangers, who came into the game ranked second, dropped to 9-2-2.

On Sept. 9, the Clippers rallied to score twice in the last 18 minutes to forge a 2-2 tie with Greely at Cumberland.

“We’ve been waiting for this game for a long time,” said Yarmouth midfielder Max Watson, who scored two goals. “We’ve been working on everybody working as a team together, and we showed that out there. We played a team effort.”

“Yarmouth came out possessed,” Greely Coach Mike Andreasen said. “They came out on a mission, playing for first place. This is their home turf and they guarded their turf well.”

The Clippers held a 2-0 halftime lead.

Watson opened the scoring less than four minutes into the game when he beat two defenders down the right side and rolled a shot through the goalie box inside the far post.

With less than seven minutes left in the half, Adam Labrie scored off a quick counter-attack. Converting a nifty feed from Chandler Smith, he ran the ball in from inside the goalie box.

Greely goalie Alex McAdoo did all he could to keep the Rangers in the game in the first half. He made five saves and also came off his line three times to break up promising runs.

The Rangers weren’t able to put much pressure on Yarmouth’s defensive third of the field. Goalie Alex Lyon only had to make two saves in the first half.

“We didn’t make the most of our opportunities,” Andreasen said. “We took a corner kick in the first minute and hit the post and nobody was on it. When a team like Yarmouth gives you an opportunity, and they don’t give you many, you have to take advantage of it.”

“The first five or six minutes they kind of had us on our heels, then we kind of settled in,” Yarmouth Coach Mike Hagerty said.

Wyatt Jackson made it 3-0 less than four minutes into the second half when he won a battle for a rebound inside the goalie box and pushed the ball past McAdoo. Six minutes later, Watson put in a penalty kick.

“I think the last time we played them it was a good lesson,” Watson said. “You never want to get down against a team. To be honest, they jumped on us in the first five minutes, We had to respond, and once we got that first goal, the guys realized we’ve got to keep pressing on.”

With 8:44 left, Harry Shain headed in Reid Howland’s corner kick from the left side for the Rangers’ lone goal.

Paul Betit can reached at 791-6424 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: PaulBetitPPH

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.