SCARBOROUGH — Good teams like Scarborough’s girls’ soccer squad force opponents to choose between lousy options. Take Marshwood, which smartly chose to double-team the Red Storm’s energetic forward, Ashley Perriello.

The problem for the Hawks was that their strategy left center midfielder Sam Sparda open for much of the night.

Some choices are no choice at all.

Sparda set up the first of Morgan Rodway’s two first-half goals, then scored the winner early in the second half to lead Scarborough to a 4-2 victory over Marshwood in a Western Class A quarterfinal Tuesday night at the Kippy Mitchell Sports Complex.

The fourth-seeded Red Storm (12-1-2) move on to a regional semifinal Saturday at top-seeded Windham. Marshwood, seeded fifth, finished at 11-5.

“I was open a lot,” Sparda said. “But that usually happens because (teams) double-team our forward and I’m always right under her. So it works really well for me. I like finding the gap.”

Sparda’s ball over the back line found Rodway racing down the right flank. Rodway beat her defender one-on-one and shot from near the end line. The ball curled over Marshwood keeper Macy Morrison (eight saves) and inside the far post for a 1-0 lead with 15:20 left in the first half.

Rodway’s goal came on the Red Storm’s eighth shot of the half, including shots off a post and the crossbar.

“We just kept on being persistent and kept taking shots,” Rodway said. “We knew we were going to get one.”

Rodway did get another, on Scarborough’s next shot. Katherine Kirk’s hustle brought her to the end line, where she crossed the ball into the 6-yard box. Rodway put it away for a 2-0 lead going into halftime.

Seven minutes into the back-and-forth second half, Sparda took a back pass from Perriello and found herself alone at the top of the 18-yard box. She fired a hard left-footed shot for a 3-0 lead.

But Marshwood didn’t go quietly. Two minutes after Sparda’s goal, the Hawks responded with the first of two goals on corner kicks. Lydia St. Pierre headed in Reagan Nichols’ corner from the right side of Scarborough keeper Sydney Martin (three saves) to make it 3-1.

With 16:41 still to play, Marshwood cut it to 3-2 when Hannah Folger converted Nichols’ corner.

“Give credit to Marshwood,” Scarborough Coach Mike Farley said. “When we usually get teams down 3-0, they kind of pack their stuff and go home. Marshwood had none of it. They put us under a ton of pressure. If we didn’t get a big goal from (Mary Farnkoff, with 10 minutes left), that game was going to go down to the wire.”

“The second half, that’s how we can play,” said Marshwood Coach Luke Edgar, who kept calling out “One minute, Marshwood.”

His players responded, particularly stopper Megan McLean, midfielder Halley Tarr and Folger.

“That’s a theme,” he said. “Both teams are always a minute away from scoring. We try to instill in them a sense of urgency. We want to string a series of passes together and get good shot.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.