FREEPORT – A couple who lived in a mobile home near Winslow Memorial Park in Freeport lost their home to fire on Christmas Eve.

Fire Chief Darrel Fournier said the fire gutted Richard Peacock’s residence at 7 Starboard Lane. His home is located off Staples Point Road in a mobile home park called Duck Away.

Fournier said the fire broke out around 5 p.m. in a bedroom. Peacock told firefighters that he spotted smoke coming from underneath a hospital style bed that is powered by an electrical motor, but by the time he had filled a bucket with water, the fire had spread to curtains in the bedroom.

No one was injured, but Fournier said Peacock was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. He and his wife were able to spend Christmas Eve with relatives.

The cause of the fire does not appear to be suspicious.

Because of the holiday and staffing shortages in volunteer fire departments, Fournier said the town received firefighting assistance from Pownal, Durham, Yarmouth, Brunswick, Cumberland and Falmouth.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.