CONCORD, N.H. — The House has voted to give in-state tuition to students in the country illegally who attend University System of New Hampshire colleges.

The House voted 188-155 Wednesday to pass a bill that treats the immigrants like residents.

The students would have to have graduated from a New Hampshire high school or obtained a New Hampshire high school equivalency certificate; attended a New Hampshire high school for three years prior to graduation; or received an equivalency certificate and met all the other criteria for in-state rates.

The students also would be required to apply for legal residency if they have not already done so and file a copy with the university system.

Opponents argue it isn’t fair for out-of-state students to pay higher tuition than students in the country illegally.

Facebook comments