YARMOUTH — David Murphy scored six of his team-high 17 points during overtime as short-handed Yarmouth pulled out a 59-49 win against York in a Western Maine Conference boys’ basketball game Tuesday night.

Adam Labrie scored 16 points, including a clutch 3-pointer in the closing seconds of regulation to tie the score, to help the Clippers claim their third consecutive win.

“Whether we won or lost that game, it was a struggle throughout,” Yarmouth Coach Adam Smith said. “We certainly stayed together and played together. That was huge for us.”

Yarmouth (11-4) played without Wyatt Jackson, a reserve forward out with a hip injury, and Ethan Gage, a 6-foot-5 forward out with the flu.

“It’s a red flag, right?” Smith said. “When you get everybody at full strength, you don’t need them. When you need them, they’re not there. But the guys who were here tonight proved to be enough for us. I was really pleased with how we hung together and played right to the end.”

Yarmouth’s two remaining big men, Nate Shields-Aubie and Cote Sawyer, ran into foul trouble during the second half.


It was a tough loss for the Wildcats, 8-7 and still battling for a spot in the Western Class B tournament. They appeared to have victory in their grasp during the closing moments of the fourth quarter.

“I’m very proud of my boys,” York Coach Randy Small said. We played a very good team tonight and took them to overtime, but we’re not satisfied with that. I told my kids, ‘I’m happy we played well but I’m not happy we lost.’ ”

The Clippers led by as many as 12 points during the second quarter. After making six 3-pointers, they carried a 29-24 lead into the second half.

The Wildcats started the third quarter with a 6-0 run to take the lead for the first time.

“Defensively we played much better during the second half,” Small said.

Yarmouth quickly moved into a 34-30 lead off a fast-break basket by Jordan Brown, who had 10 points, and Labrie’s third 3-pointer of the game, but couldn’t shake York.


With less than a minute left in regulation, Adam Legg turned a feed from Darby Nicholas into a basket and Mike Gallagher, who scored a team-high 17 points, made two free throws to send the Wildcats into a 45-42 lead, but Labrie hit his fourth 3-pointer with 15 seconds left to forge the tie at the end of regulation.

With two seconds left, Gallagher’s 12-foot jumper went in and out of the basket.

The Clippers held a 10-4 edge in scoring during the five-minute overtime period.

“Our coach does a great job of keeping us in condition throughout the whole season,” Murphy said. “We just knew we had to keep on going and we hoped that York would eventually tire out, but it was tough.”

Comments are no longer available on this story