Nearly a month after a 28-year-old Maine man was shot to death on a rural stretch of highway in Pennsylvania, authorities have made no arrests and have released few details about the progress of the investigation, leaving the victim’s family to search for answers.

Timothy Davison’s mother, Theresa Allocca of Poland, said authorities have denied her request for a transcript of the 911 call her son made in Maryland shortly before he was killed.

Davison, a Poland resident who was driving back to Maine after visiting family members in Florida, encountered an aggressive driver of a dark-colored pickup truck, who chased and shot at Davison’s sport utility vehicle before running it off the road in southern Pennsylvania and shooting Davison shortly after 2 a.m. on Jan. 4.

Allocca said she hopes the transcript of Davison’s 911 call will clarify what happened in the moments before he died.

“I think it may answer some questions for us, about whether they asked him to slow down to get a better description” of the assailant, she said. “It seems there was a critical time when he was asking whether he should get off the highway or not, and they didn’t respond. We think it would help us have some closure.”

Without answers from police, she can only wonder whether her son was instructed to slow down, if his vehicle was somehow disabled, or if he tried to prevent injury to other drivers.


Allocca said she was directed to submit a formal request for Maryland’s 911 transcripts, which was subsequently denied.

“They’re not telling us anything, really,” she said. “Most of the stuff we’ve found out is from reporters, or finding things out online or from friends sending it to us.”

A call to Davison’s father, Timothy Davison of Raymond, was not returned Friday.

Bardona Woods, director of communications for emergency services in Washington County, Md., where Davison made his first call to 911, did not respond to a request for comment Friday regarding Allocca’s denied request.

Earlier, Woods told the Patriot News of Harrisburg, Pa., that Davison asked the 911 dispatcher in Maryland if he should get off the interstate.

Before that question was answered, the phone connection was lost as he approached the Pennsylvania border. When he called 911 again, he was routed to a dispatcher in Pennsylvania.


The driver of the pickup truck rammed Davison’s 2001 Mitsubishi Montero, which came to rest in the snow-covered center median of the interstate in Antrim Township, Pa., about three miles from the Maryland border.

Davison had nine speeding tickets and three accidents on his driving record, but Allocca said that many of those infractions occurred when Davison was younger, and that he had voluntarily taken a defensive-driving class.

Police have not indicated that anything Davison did behind the wheel contributed to his death.

Police characterized the shooting as a road rage incident, saying Davison and his killer never knew each other.

Pennsylvania State Trooper Robert Hicks said Friday that the investigation continues but there is no new information to release.

Police examined the possibility of a connection between Davison’s shooting and an incident that occurred eight hours earlier in Monaghan Township, Pa., about 30 miles from where Davison was killed, in which the driver of a pickup truck shot at another vehicle, nearly hitting the driver.

Although police said they found no connection, Allocca said there are too many similarities for her not to believe the shootings are connected.

Matt Byrne can be contacted at 791-6303 or at:

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.