Top-ranked Scarborough pounced with three goals in the first four minutes and cruised to a 7-0 victory over second-ranked Falmouth in the West final Wednesday night at the Portland Ice Arena.

Freshman Sammi Shoebottom led the rout with four goals and two assists.

Fellow freshman Elizabeth Gross added two goals and an assist.

Alyssa Hulst also scored.

The Red Storm (20-0) will make their second straight appearance in the state final at 7 p.m. Saturday against Lewiston High on the Blue Devils’ home ice at the Colisee.

Lewiston (15-4-1), seeded No. 2 in the East, upset top-ranked Leavitt/Edward Little 2-0 in the other regional final.


Scarborough has defeated the Blue Devils twice, 3-1 and 2-0.

The Red Storm also had defeated Falmouth twice this season and looked to dominate the Yachtsmen (14-6).

In the first four minutes, two goals by Gross and one by Shoebottom had the Red Storm in control.

“It was a good way to start the game,” Shoebottom said. “We wanted to shut them down early.”

The Red Storm were just following orders.

“We told the girls to come out hard, shoot with a purpose and bury it,” Coach Caitlin Cashman said.


Scarborough had an 8-0 shot advantage and Falmouth Coach Rob Carrier called a timeout.

“We got away from our systems,” Carrier said. “Called a timeout, refocused, and then we started playing with energy and discipline.”

Falmouth responded, getting aggressive and taking shots. Lucy Meyer, Evelyn Clement and Camden Carrier created chances. Were it not for a couple of nifty saves by goalie Devan Kane, the Yachtsmen might have broken through. Shots were 10-9 Scarborough after the first period.

“Falmouth always plays hard,” Cashman said.

“They’re a nitty-gritty team. We just had to worry about our game.”

The score stayed 3-0 until Shoebottom scored at 7:45 into the second period.


She scored again at 10:02 on a short-handed goal. Hulst then made it 6-0.

The Red Storm couldn’t stay out of the penalty box, however, needing to kill nine penalties. Three penalties near the end of the second period, including a five-minute major, gave Falmouth a five-on-three advantage for 3 minutes, 36 seconds, a power play that stretched into the third period.

Scarborough survived.

“We told the girls not to worry about it,” Cashman said. “Just take it one shift at a time.”

In the third period, Kristen Murray took a shot and Shoebottom rebounded it in at 8:22 for a 7-0 lead. It was the third assist for Murray.

Kane ended up with 19 saves for the shutout.


Scarborough collected its second straight West title. Last year the Red Storm finished second in the state, losing in overtime to Greely.

Lewiston reached the state championship game in the first two years of high school girls’ hockey in Maine, in 2009 and 2010, winning in 2009. This will be the Blue Devils’ first trip back since.


LEWISTON SCORED two goals in the second period and held on for a 2-0 victory over top-seeded Leavitt/Edward Little in the East regional girls’ hockey championship Wednesday night at Portland.

The second-seeded Blue Devils (15-4-1) avenged two losses to the Red Hornets (17-4) during the season.

After a scoreless first period, Lewiston jumped on goals by Corinne Laberge (assisted by Emily Turner) and Allison Frechette (assisted by Laberge).


The Blue Devils outshot Leavitt/Edward Little, 27-25. Lewiston goalie Paige Fontaine made 25 saves.

Kevin Thomas can be reached at 791-6411 or at:

Twitter: KevinThomasPPH

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.