WATERBORO — A 19-year-old Shapleigh man faces a drunk driving charge after sheriff’s deputies say he drove recklessly on Little Ossipee Pond, coming too close to ice fishermen and spectators during an ice fishing derby Sunday.

Then, police said, Derek Guertin of Shapleigh backed into the vehicle of someone who helped him free his pick-up truck from a snowbank.

When deputies then tried to arrest him, he was uncooperative, according to York County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Bill King, and had to be restrained.

The event was the first annual ice fishing derby on the pond sponsored by Limerick and Alfred American Legion posts, designed as a fun event to help raise money to help buy fuel to keep veterans warm in the winter, and provide scholarships for the Navy Junior ROTC program and Maine Dirigo Boys and Girls State. The event marks the first ice fishing derby on Little Ossipee Pond since 2011, when another organization held its last after 11 years of annual derbies.

King said there were about 1,000 people on the ice when the incident took place. Local volunteers plowed roads on the lake for vehicles to follow and a safe speed was expected, he said. A number of Maine Wardens, York County Sheriff’s deputies and Waterboro Fire and Rescue units were on hand to ensure the fun remained safe.

Guertin drove his 2001 Chevrolet pick-up truck onto the frozen lake and witnesses later told authorities he revved his engine and was driving recklessly close to fishermen and spectators. At one point, Guertin lost control of his vehicle and got stuck in a snowbank, according to King.

“A Good Samaritan assisted Guertin by pulling him out of the snow bank,” said King in a prepared statement. “It took several tries to pull the truck out of the snow. Guertin repaid the gesture by backing into the Samaritan’s vehicle, causing damage to the rear bumper.”

King said Waterboro contract deputy Shawn Sanborn, who was on an ATV patrolling the ice, observed what transpired. When he and the wardens went to investigate, they charged Guertin with misdemeanor operating under the influence.

“Guertin had to be physically restrained and failed to cooperate after he was arrested.” said King, who estimated the arrest took place around 1:30 p.m.

King said Guertin had been warned by another deputy about other alleged inappropriate activity, which he did not specify, earlier in the day.

Guertin was taken to York County Jail and was later released after he posted $400 bail, according to jail corrections staff. He is scheduled to make a first appearance at Springvale District Court April 29.

— Senior Staff Writer Tammy Wells can be contacted at 324-4444 (local call in Sanford) or 282-1535, ext. 327 or [email protected]

        Comments are not available on this story.

        filed under: