Several residents of the Portland Center for Assisted Living at 68 Devonshire St. were evacuated from their apartment units after a fire broke out in a clothes dryer at the facility Saturday morning, the fire department said.

No one was hurt in the fire, which caused an estimated $5,000 in damage.

The fire triggered an alarm at 11:14 a.m. and it was quickly extinguished by firefighters, the department said.

“We evacuated the residents in the floor directly above the dryer room,” said Deputy Chief William Flynn. “They were sheltered in place on the other side of a fire door.”

After the smoke was cleared and air quality monitored, the residents were allowed to return to their apartments, the department said.

Beth Quimby can be contacted at 791-6363 or at:[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.