A woman and her baby escaped safely after a fire started in a chimney in their home at 82 Oscar Littlefield Road in Lyman.

Firefighters responded to the three-story home at 10 a.m. and found heavy smoke and flames in the attic, said Acting Deputy Chief Robert Lang.

The Goodwins Mills Fire Department drew on crews from six communities for additional manpower and to help shuttle water because nearby ponds were frozen and inaccessible, he said.

The fire was under control by 11 a.m. The Red Cross is helping the family temporarily relocate until the building can be repaired.

Two dogs and two cats that were also in the building escaped without injury, Lang said.

The fire started in the chimney but Lang could not say for certain immediately whether the fire was caused by the house’s wood stove.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:


Twitter: @Mainehenchman

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.