LYMAN — A mother and baby escaped injury Wednesday when fire broke out at their home on Oscar Littlefield Road.

Goodwin’s Mills Deputy Fire Chief Chad Johnston said the three-story home was rented by John and Eowyn Gregory, who lived there with their baby. Mother and child were home when the fire broke out.

He said the home, at 82 Oscar Littlefield Road, a dirt road leading to Swan Pond, was heated by wood. A fire that started in the chimney spread to start the blaze.

Firefighters from half a dozen departments fought the blaze, ferrying water in tankers because there are no nearby hydrants.

The fire was reported at about 10 a.m. Firefighters completed their work by 1 p.m.

Johnston said the home has extensive damage to the second and third floor, while the first floor has smoke and water damage.

He said the Gregorys did not have renter’s insurance.

The property is owned by Ingrid Claesson.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the Gregory family, said Johnston.

Assisting Goodwin’s Mills Fire Department were firefighters from Arundel, Hollis, Kennebunk, Saco and Waterboro.



        Comments are not available on this story.

        filed under: