A 60-year-old Randolph man suffered smoke inhalation after a fire at his home Monday evening.

Richard Messer remains at Maine Medical Center in Portland for injuries he received from the fire, which investigators said started from a metal stove pipe attached to the fireplace in the house.

The two-story log cabin-style home, at 38 Mill Road, was destroyed. Both Messer and his wife were home at the time and managed to escape, but Messer then went back into the house three times to try to rescue the family’s cats. Three of the cats were rescued, but the remainder died in the fire.

First responders who arrived on the scene stopped Messer from going back into the house a fourth time. Messer was initially taken by ambulance to MaineGeneral in Augusta, and later transferred to Maine Med.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.