Paris police say the department has subpoenaed records from several companies, including social media websites and cellphone providers, as part of its investigation into a fatal hit-and-run incident that killed a 16-year-old Turner boy.

Chief Michael Madden said there have been no new developments in the case since the department announced two people were being considered suspects in the crash that killed Xavier Fuentes on March 15.

The companies are not responding as quickly as police would like, but they are not compelled to, Madden said.

“This is a very important case. As much as we want to bring closure to the family as much as possible, we also want the (case) as solid as possible,” Madden said Monday. He said police have been consulting with prosecutors during the process.

The department also has worked to keep Fuentes’ family informed.

“I think it’s very difficult on them and we are in contact with them at least on a weekly basis,” Madden said.

Fuentes was killed after going to a movie in Oxford with a cousin on the night of March 15. Fuentes left the theater early and was hit after dark on a stretch of Route 117, the main road between South Paris and Turner, which was narrowed because of snowbanks pushed up against a guardrail.

Based on the severity of his injuries, police initially speculated that Fuentes had been hit by a pickup truck, possibly with a snowplow attached. A few days later, they backed off that theory, but said it hadn’t been ruled out. An autopsy showed that the teenager died of multiple injuries. The driver who hit him did not stop, and Fuentes was found lying in the westbound travel lane by a passing driver at 8:30 that night.

Fuentes was taken to Stephens Memorial Hospital in Norway, where he died.

Police announced this month that they had searched a residence and arrested one of the suspects on an unrelated charge. During the search, police seized a vehicle from one suspect’s home in Lewiston. They also seized a rental car from Hertz at the car rental company’s Bangor location.

Those vehicles were taken to the Maine State Police Crime Lab for analysis to recover and process trace evidence. That also can take time, Madden said.

Police said they were led to the suspects by a tip from the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency, but Madden would not say why investigators believe the suspects are connected to the case. He also would not give any information about the suspects or the two vehicles that were seized.

Madden has previously said that the suspects, who had not been cooperative, were being kept under surveillance.

The department has been able to obtain search warrants, which require police to convince a judge that evidence of a crime will probably be found during the search. Police also have issued subpoenas, which have a lower threshold of proof, requiring only that there be a reasonable possibility that the records being sought will help the investigation.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: @Mainehenchman

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.