Massabesic captured its first Class A girls’ lacrosse championship in seven seasons Saturday, but had to endure a marathon to do it.

Karlie Pike scored 1:38 into the third sudden-death overtime to lift the Mustangs to a 9-8 victory against Cheverus in a game that lasted nearly 64 minutes at Fitzpatrick Stadium.

“It’s too bad somebody has got to go away short-handed after a game like that,” Massabesic Coach Brooks Bowen said. “You get teams like that where you match up so evenly that it’s hard to overcome them.”

When the two teams met in the state final last season, Cheverus walked off with an 8-7 win to capture its first lacrosse title.

On May 15, the Mustangs, who won 15 consecutive games after opening the season with a 10-7 loss to Kennebunk, pulled out a 12-10 victory against the Stags at Waterboro.

It looked like Massabesic had the second lacrosse state title in school history when it carried a 6-5 lead into the final minute of regulation, but Alex Logan got control of a rebound and scored with 19 seconds left to send the game into overtime.

In girls’ lacrosse, teams play two three-minute overtimes to decide a winner when the score is tied at the end of 50 minutes of regulation play.

It looked like the game was over when Rayne Whitten and Pike turned passes from Jacqueline Guillemette into goals less than a minute apart to send the Mustangs into a two-goal lead with a little more than a minute left in the second overtime, but the Stags got goals from Meredith Willard and Logan in the final minute of overtime to make it 8-8.

“You wanted to think it was over but Cheverus showed they weren’t ready to give up either,” Guillemette said.

Both teams had chances to win in the first two sudden-death overtimes, but Cheverus goalie Hope Correia and Massabesic goalie Megan Hill each made pivotal saves.

Pike’s game-winning goal came off a long pass from Guillemette.

“I was afraid if I shot I was going to hit someone, and I saw Karlie open and I just passed it to her and it worked out,” Guillemette said.

Cheverus (9-5) held a 4-3 halftime lead.

Willard scored three goals and set up a goal by Logan to help propel the Stags into a 4-1 lead with less than seven minutes left in the first half.

“When we got down 4-1, it’s hard to get the spirits up,” Guillemette said, “but once we started to get the ball flowing and getting our shots on and our passes on, we started to clean it up. It was a dogfight from there, back and forth all the way.”

The Mustangs finished the first half with a rush. Delia Sylvain and Maquila Dimastrantonio scored less than two minutes apart.

Pike, Sylvain, Dimastrantonio and Whitten each scored two goals for the Mustangs. Guillemette also had a goal and an assist.

Willard and Logan each scored four goals for the Stags.