Investigators probing the stabbing death of an 18-year-old from Madbury, New Hampshire, would not release any new details about the case Tuesday, including whether they believe the young man knew his attacker.

The victim, Aaron Wilkinson, had felony drug charges pending against him, but an attorney familiar with the charges said the case was not major and he had no reason to think the charges had anything to do with his death.

Although Wilkinson’s body was found Saturday afternoon in Lebanon, Maine, New Hampshire authorities have taken charge of the investigation, saying they have evidence that the killing took place in New Hampshire, but would not specify where. Officials did, however, spend a day at Wilkinson’s house on Evans Road, where his father had reported him missing on Saturday morning.

“We have no information that leads us to believe that the public is in any danger as a result of this homicide,” said Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin, head of that state’s homicide unit. “However, as with any homicide where there has been no arrest, people should keep in mind that a homicide has occurred.”

Wilkinson’s friends and others who knew him said he was a friendly person who never wanted to hurt anyone’s feelings, much less being capable of a violent confrontation.

“That’s why this whole thing doesn’t make any sense. It’s something we really can’t wrap heads around,” said Peter Stackhouse, executive director of Great Bay Charter School. Wilkinson attended the small, nontraditional school during the 2012-13 school year and part of the school year that just ended, before withdrawing, Stackhouse said.

“He was very well-liked by both staff and students. He was a compassionate kid,” Stackhouse said. Even though the school year is over, Stackhouse said school officials have been in contact with students who have been affected by the loss. “Losing a classmate or a friend, it’s a devastating event in your life.”

Friends of Wilkinson’s also shared their sorrow on Facebook.

“This world has lost a fantastic soul. He was one of the most optimistic, good hearted, genuinely kind, amazing people I have ever met,” read one posting.

Wilkinson’s Facebook page indicated that he had worked at Kittery Trading Post’s warehouse until January.

Wilkinson pleaded not guilty to felony charges of possessing drugs with the intent to sell, stemming from a traffic stop in Exeter on Nov. 10, 2013.

Police stopped the car and found a backpack with drugs and cash. Assistant Attorney General James Boffetti, spokesman for the Rockingham District Attorney’s Office, said Wilkinson was a passenger in the car and was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to sell and possession of cocaine, mushrooms and hashish.

Boffetti would not say whether he thought the arrest had any relevance to his death.

Wilkinson was indicted on the charges in March, and his attorney filed a motion last week to suppress evidence, five days before Wilkinson’s body was found. A pretrial conference and jury trial had been scheduled for September in Rockingham Superior Court in Brentwood, New Hampshire, according to court officials.

The driver of the car, Sam Kendall, was charged with acting in concert with Wilkinson in the sale and transport of drugs in a vehicle, transporting drugs in a vehicle and with falsifying physical information.

Wilkinson’s attorney, John Durkin of Dover, New Hampshire, was out of the office and not reachable this week, Durkin’s staff said.

Attorney Andrew Cotrupi, who represents Kendall in the case, said he does not believe the drug arrest is connected to Wilkinson’s death.

“Nothing that I know of is at this level,” he said of the killing, “not even close.”

Cotrupi said the case involved “relatively small quantities.”

“My understanding is Mr. Wilkinson had no arrests and no criminal history besides this arrest,” he said.