AUGUSTA — A fire Tuesday night on Kayla Lane left a mother and her daughter without a home.

The fire, the second to break out in the city during a four-hour period, resulted in minor damage in the kitchen of a mobile home. No one was injured, officials said.

The woman, who is a renting the mobile home, inadvertently left a stove burner switched on with a pot on it while she was away.

“When she came home, the smoke detectors were going off and the place was full of smoke,” Augusta Fire Chief Roger Audette said.

Audette said some electrical components in the kitchen were damaged, so the home’s power had to be shut off. The family can return when the damage is repaired and the power is restored, Audette said.

The fire broke out around 6:45 p.m. at 7 Kayla Lane, off Mount Vernon Avenue. Audette said the family had been without power for some time, then Central Maine Power restored electricity Tuesday, before the fire.

Firefighters doused the flames quickly, but they spent about an hour making sure the fire had not spread inside the walls.

The fire was the second in four hours. An earlier electrical fire that broke out near the roof of a three-story five-unit apartment building at 32 State St. displaced four families and a total of a dozen people. City agencies as well as the American Red Cross responded to both fires to help those affected find temporary shelter.

Craig Crosby can be contacted at 621-5642, or at:

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.