A fire in a Freeport home Friday afternoon caused about $75,000 in damage and left two firefighters with minor injuries, a fire official said.

Deputy Chief Paul Conley said the fire on Balsam Lane was reported shortly after 1 p.m., when a caretaker for the house noticed smoke coming from the basement. The homeowners were out of town, Conley said.

The fire eventually grew to a three-alarm blaze and caused extensive damage to the basement, including heating and electrical equipment, he said. It was out by about 3:15 p.m., Conley said.

One firefighter suffered heat exhaustion and another injured his hand, but both were treated at the scene and did not need to go to the hospital, Conley said.

A closed door at the top of steps leading from the basement probably prevented the fire from spreading, he said. Damage to the upper floors was mainly confined to smoke damage, he said.

Facebook comments