SANFORD – Sanford firefighters battled two fires within 90 minutes Sunday night – one of which left a family homeless and the other a motorcyclist without his new bike.

Capt. Brian Smith said a fire that started in the kitchen of 7 Brock Ave. spread throughout the ranch-style home, causing heavy smoke and fire damage.

The owner, Thomas Conley Jr., his wife and their three teenage children were at Funtown, a Saco amusement park, when the fire started around 7:22 p.m. Conley’s father, Thomas Conley Sr., was transported to a local hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

All of the family’s pets survived the fire. The elder Conley, who lives next door, rescued the dogs.

Around  9 p.m., Sanford’s fire department was called to 34 Island Ave. for the report of a motorcycle on fire. When crews arrived, they found several residents of the neighborhood trying to extinguish the fire with whatever they had on hand, including a gallon of milk.

The motorcycle’s owner, Cory Barter, said he had just finished riding his bike when he dropped a pack of cigarettes, according to Smith. When Barter turned his cigarette lighter on – he was having trouble seeing the cigarettes in the dark – it ignited gasoline vapors and set his new motorcycle on fire. Smith said Barter was not injured.