FREEPORT — All roads in town are open after last week’s record-setting rain storm, but the cost to repair damage is climbing.

Earl Gibson, Public Works superintendent, said damage from the Aug. 13 storm is estimated at around $100,000. No power lines went down, but several roads were washed away. He said all of them have been reopened.

“At this time, all the roads in Freeport are open,” Gibson said on Tuesday, “but we’re still working on fixing shoulders.”

Gibson said the road shoulders will be repaired by mid-week next week.

According to the National Weather Service in Gray, 6.43 inches of rain fell in Portland on Aug. 13, with 4.2 inches falling between 9 and 11 p.m. The storm set a city rainfall record for the date, and became the fifth wettest day in city history dating to 1871.

The storms ranked ahead of the Aug. 13 deluge were all related to tropical events, according to the NWS.

The day after the storm, Gibson had said four or five roads were closed and others were reduced to one lane. Damaged roads included Upper Mast Landing Road, Beech Hill Road, Murch Road, Prout Road, and Fernald Road.

Of the damaged roads, Upper Mast Landing Road received more serious damage and was one of the first to be worked on. 

On Aug. 14, Jeff Goldrup of Public Works was working on Upper Mast Landing Road and filling in areas where the road washed away. At around 2 p.m., he said he had been working since midnight.

“We’ll get all the worst ones taken care of and we’ll take care of the little spots next week,” Goldrup said.

Gibson said that many people called the Fire Department throughout the storm about having water in their basements.

“Firefighters were out doing several basement pumpings, but not as many as expected,” Gibson said. 

Between Aug. 13 at 11:30 p.m. and Aug. 14 at 6 a.m., the department reported seven calls about water problems.

According to Gibson there were no major accidents or rescues related to the storm. He said there was one incident where a car was driving along Route 1 and the water was too high for the car to pass. Gibson said the driver called for help and the car had to be towed. 

As for any lasting damage, Gibson said the only things left to deal with are the washed out road shoulders and the cost.

Kate Gardner can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 125 or [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter: @katevgardner.

Sidebar Elements

Storm-damaged Upper Mast Landing Road in Freeport on Aug. 14.

Beech Hill Road in Freeport the day after the Aug. 13 storm.

Facebook comments

filed under: