RICHMOND — A local mother burned her hands, but got her 6-month-old daughter safely out of their Brunswick Road home after a fire started in the kitchen Thursday.

Fire Chief Matt Roberge said Jobinn McDowell, 35, and her infant were the only ones home when a fire apparently started in the kitchen at 607 Brunswick Road, which is also known as U.S. Route 201.

McDowell was taken by North East Mobile Health Services ambulance to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta, with burns to small areas of her hands, according to Roberge.

The baby was uninjured but was taken to the hospital with her mother.

Police Chief Scott MacMaster said a neighbor called 911 at 7:39 a.m. after seeing smoke and McDowell leaving the home.

Roberge said the fire was confined to the kitchen, though the rest of the ranch-style, single-story house sustained some smoke damage.


Roberge said firefighters arrived to find a small fire burning near the stove.

An investigator with the Office of the State Fire Marshal was expected at the scene Thursday. Roberge said the office is notified of all fires in which an injury is reported.

The home is owned by Joseph and Gloria McDowell, according to town assessing records.

Firefighters from Richmond, Litchfield, Bowdoin, Bowdoinham, Dresden and Gardiner responded.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.