Raymond Webb Sr., a former selectman in Limington who was dedicated to his family and his community, died Wednesday after a long illness. He was 83.

Mr. Webb served two terms on the Board of Selectmen, from 2005 to 2011. He was instrumental in creating the town’s Enhanced 911 system and fought hard to keep tax rates low. He also worked to promote recycling in the town. As a result, recycling rates increased by 60 percent in his first two years as selectman. In 2007, he was recognized by ecomaine with its eco-Excellence Award.

“He was a very good man,” said Raymond Cullen, chairman of the Board of Selectmen. “We’re going to miss him very much. He loved Limington.”

Mr. Webb was the husband of Marilyn Webb for 63 years. The couple lived in Limington and raised three children. On Friday, his wife laughed and cried sharing stories of their life together. She reminisced about their first date – a blind date to the circus when she was 15 years old.

“He was the most handsome man I ever met,” his wife said, smiling.

Pamela W. Day of Limington, the oldest of their three children, said her father devoted his life to his family. She recalled the year they went camping in Bar Harbor. It was their first and last camping trip. Day laughed recalling how hard it rained that night.

“He was done. We stayed long enough to have a lobster meal and went home,”she said.

Day said her father taught them how to hunt, fish, split wood, play golf and laugh. She remembered the day he took her to a gravel pit to teach her how to shoot a rifle.

“The scope came back and hit me in the eye. I got a black eye. That was it for me,” she said with a chuckle.

Mr. Webb had several jobs throughout his life. He was a school bus driver, a mechanic, and ran Bill and Ray’s Garage. He was a Little League baseball coach, a truck driver and a real estate agent. He also sold insurance, as well as milk for Locust Farm and Old Tavern Farm. More recently, he was a sales manager for Humpty Dumpty Potato Chip Co. Inc. for about 10 years. His daughter said he worked with retailers across Maine and New England to get their products in the stores.

“He loved it,” Day said. “He loved talking to people.”

Being with family was the highlight of his life. Day said her parents attended their grandchildren’s sporting events. She said he was very proud of all of their accomplishments.

Mr. Webb fought a 20-year battle with heart disease and most recently cancer.

“He fought with all his might for my mom,” Day said. “He loved his family. He wanted to be with us. The last thing he wanted was to be at his grandson’s wedding (on Sept. 6). He wore his dungaree shorts and a T-shirt.

“We wheeled him in the wheelchair. He was so cute. All he did was cry. He was so happy to be there.”