SOUTH PORTLAND — Dominick Day scored on two long runs Friday night and sixth-seeded Biddeford upset third-ranked South Portland 34-20 in a Western Class A football quarterfinal.

The Tigers (4-5) will play at second-seeded Bonny Eagle in the regional semifinals next Friday night.

“Although my wife would have been very angry, I would have bet my house on this one. That’s how sure I was, and we beat a very good football team,” said Biddeford Coach Brian Curit.

Day’s first touchdown came from 65 yards to give Biddeford a 20-6 lead with 57 seconds left in the half.

“I was coming off the edge because it was a 45 trap and the big goof on the team, Sasha (Kurlychek-Godard), made a great block, which opened up my alley,” said Day.

“I made a couple of good cuts and then once I got to open field, I wanted it so bad I just hauled.”

Biddeford led 20-13 with 7:38 left in the third quarter when Day did it again, running 37 yards for a touchdown.

Day finished with 124 yards on five carries to go with three receptions for 47 yards. He also nailed 4 of 5 extra-point attempts.

In addition to all that, Day also punts – a role he took on a few weeks into the season.

“I went to coach the third game, we didn’t have a kicker for field goals and I was like, ‘Coach, can I kick?’ From there, Lucas (Rhoy) went down and I took the punting position. First time I ever punted, never punted before. It’s all new to me.”

Matthew Stearns was a beast for South Portland (5-4), carrying 29 times for 194 yards and three touchdowns, with 130 yards in the second half.

“There’s some scary kids in this league and Stearns is as scary as anybody we see,” said Curit.

With the Red Riots trailing 34-20, Stearns had to leave with 9:59 remaining because of a concussion after he tackled Day.

“Matt’s the toughest kid we have; he’s always been that way,” said South Portland Coach Steve Stinson.

“(He) runs extremely hard. Usually good things happen when he touches the ball, but we lost him for good. It limited what we could do offensively at that point. So it was going to be hard to come back.”

Capen Macomber moved piles for Biddeford, grinding for 45 yards and two touchdowns on 19 carries.

Biddeford quarterback Casey Twomey completed 6 of 9 passes for 117 yards and rushed for a touchdown.

Biddeford scored first with 42 seconds left in the opening quarter when Macomber punched it in from the 4. Day booted the extra point to put the Tigers up 7-0.

The ensuing drive for South Portland resulted in a fumble on a botched handoff, and Biddeford took possession at the South Portland 6.

On the second play, Macomber scored from the 4. The extra point was missed, but the Tigers had a 13-0 lead.

“It was about what we expected. Biddeford is a very good football team. They always play hard and we expected a great game,” said Stinson.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.