A South Portland man was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland on Wednesday night after the vehicle he was welding caught on fire.

Fire Chief Kevin Guimond said the man was working in a garage at 10 Spring St. around 7 p.m. when the vehicle, a Subaru Forester, burst into flames.

The man, whose identity was not immediately known, tried to put the fire out but suffered minor burns to his hands as well as smoke inhalation. He was transported by ambulance for what appeared to be minor injuries, Guimond said.

Guimond said firefighters extinguished the fire within 20 minutes, keeping it from spreading from the garage to a nearby home. The garage is near the Boys and Girls Club on Broadway.