beforeafter

Contemporary photo by Whitney Hayward/Staff Photographer; historic photo from the Portland Public Library Special Collections & Archives (photographer uncredited).

On Nov. 7, 1946, the F.W. Woolworth department store held its grand opening on Congress Street in downtown Portland. The art-deco building still stands at the site, its facade largely unchanged, as the home of Renys.

The Portland Room of the Portland Public Library is in the process of organizing and conserving the archival collection of original Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram and Evening Express photographic negatives — a major collection that spans from 1937 to 2005. Find more photos at www.pressherald.com/flashback/.