BATH — A Thanksgiving Day blaze at a house in Bath hit close to home for firefighters – it belonged to a local fire captain.

The blaze at Capt. Dave Hudson’s house was reported at about 4 p.m. Thursday.

The Times Record reports that the family, including Hudson, his wife and children, his mother-in-law, and others, heard sounds they thought were fireworks. They opened a door to investigate and discovered a fire in the garage.

Everyone got out, although one person was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Bath Fire Chief Christopher Cummings says while the garage is a total loss, the rest of the house may be salvageable.

Firefighters from several surrounding communities helped.

Cummings says the department will take care of the Hudson family because “firefighters stick together.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.