A fire at a house at 33 Green St. in Bridgton on Monday started when the home’s wood framing, dried out from years of using a wood-burning stove for heat, ignited, fire officials say.

Firefighters were called to the house at 7:39 p.m. and found fire in the first-floor ceiling and the floor of the second floor of the 1½-story house, Fire Chief Glen Garland said.

The man who lived there was home when the fire started and fled to a neighbor across the street, who called the fire department.

Crews were able to knock down the fire in 15 to 20 minutes but it had already damaged the structure. The house had been added onto many times and was valued for tax purposes at $1,750, Garland said.

Wood framing on the second floor that was close to the chimney had dried out over the years and ignited as the owner was getting a fire started. The man was staying with family members, Garland said.

Firefighters from several towns responded. There were no injuries.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: @Mainehenchman

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.