SOUTH PORTLAND — Jack Fiorini scored 16 points, reserve Jordin Jackson provided key contributions and South Portland used a big third quarter Saturday to surge to a 66-43 victory against Scarborough in an SMAA boys’ basketball game at Beal Gym.

“That’s the way we need to play, with the balanced scoring and everyone sharing the ball,” said South Portland Coach Phil Conley.

Fiorini also had five rebounds for the Red Riots (5-2). And when Jaren Muller got in foul trouble early, Jackson was a spark with eight points, nine rebounds and four steals.

“We do have one of the best big men in the league in (Muller), but I got my shots and do what I can to try and help the team,” said Jackson.

“It’s always tough when (Muller) gets in foul trouble but Jordin Jackson came through,” said Conley. “I’m glad for a kid like (Jackson) because he works so hard in practice and when his number was called, he came through.”

The Red Riots had a nine-point halftime lead, then outscored the Red Storm 26-9 in the third quarter.

“Coach told us that it’s a nine- point game and that wasn’t good enough” said Fiorini. “After the two losses we just suffered, we couldn’t afford to come out lackadaisical, and we needed to go full-throttle out there and really put our foot on their throats.”

Scarborough (5-2) was without 6-foot-7 center Jacob Gardner, who was ill, which had an impact against a tall South Portland team.

“(He’s) been playing pretty well. We had to readjust what we have to do and we didn’t know until this morning that he wasn’t going to play,” said Scarborough Coach Tony DiBiase.

Point guard Sam DePaolo had eight assists for the Red Riots.

“Sam DePaolo was outstanding. He handled their press, he got us into our offense and got us great looks. That’s a kid that is improving each and every game, which is a great sign for us,” said Conley.

Milani Hicks had 16 points andseven rebounds, and Nate Wessel added 19 points for Scarborough, which shot just 31 percent.

“We did not shoot well. We had open looks but couldn’t make them,” said DiBiase.

“They played very well, I thought. We had good shots. We hung in there as long as we could.”

The victory snapped a two- game skid for South Portland, which will face a tough test Tuesday at Deering.

“The Portland game was a real tough ending for us (losing on a put-back at the buzzer), and then we started off slow against Bonny Eagle but fought all the way back,” said Conley. “But we’re coming off two losses and this was a crucial, crucial game. The kids came through.”