Brooke Dawson sank a 3-pointer with six-tenths of a second left to lift Cheverus to a 53-52 victory against Westbrook in an SMAA girls’ basketball game Tuesday night at Keegan Gym.

Dawson’s shot came 26 seconds after Marissa Martel turned a feed from Alisha Aube into a layup to give the Blue Blazes a 52-50 lead.

The Stags took a timeout with 8.5 seconds left to set up an inbounds play but it backfired.

“We ran a different play with eight seconds left and it didn’t go the way we wanted,” Cheverus Coach Steve Huntington said.

Cheverus took another timeout when the rebound of that miss went out of bounds off a Westbrook player with 3.5 seconds left.

“The coach just said ‘let’s run a play,’ and I came off the screen and took the shot,” Dawson said. “I fumbled the ball but I held on and shot it.”

The winner was Dawson’s first 3-pointer of the game.

“I missed two or three and I was a little nervous when the coach put me in,” she said. “I was really deep. The pass was a little high and I had to jump up to get it. I was a little off-balance but I had to get (the shot) up there.”

Cheverus (6-5) took a 42-34 lead into the fourth quarter, but Westbrook (6-5) opened the final period with a 9-0 run to take the lead for the first time since the opening minutes of the second quarter.

The score was tied or the lead changed hands seven times over the last five minutes.

Aube finished with 22 points for Westbrook. Danasia Fennie scored eight of her 14 points in the third quarter to help keep the Blazes in the game. Martel finished with 10 points.

Laura Holman and Anne Veroneau each scored 11 points for the Stags.

Westbrook took a 10-3 lead less than four minutes into the game, sinking 5 of 8 free throws during that stretch.

“We didn’t rebound the ball,” Huntington said. “We’re obviously a guard-heavy team, and sometimes the smaller, younger players are timid to get into the paint, but they fought back.”

Still, the Stags, who were outrebounded 16-8 in the first quarter, finished the period with a 6-0 run to pull within 12-11.

Cheverus held a 23-22 edge in rebounds over the final three quarters.

The Stags took the lead for the first time when Brooke McElman and Alayna Briggs sank back-to-back 3-pointers to make it 19-16 with 6:14 left in the half.

Cheverus put together a 14-6 run during a six-minute stretch to take a 42-32 lead with 19 seconds remaining in the third quarter.

The Stags played their fifth consecutive game without their leading scorer and rebounder, Jillian Libby, who has been out with a knee injury.

“I don’t know when Jill is coming back,” Huntington said. “She just started rehab this week.”