BIDDEFORD — Brandon Daigle made 47 saves and Ricky Ruck scored a second-period goal to lead Biddeford High to a 1-0 boys’ hockey upset over Falmouth Monday afternoon at Biddeford Ice Arena.

Biddeford improved to 5-3-2, and the two-time defending state Class A champion Yachtsmen dropped to 9-3.

Two facts emerged from Monday’s game: Biddeford is better than its record indicates, and Falmouth hardly has reason to panic, even though it is 1-3 in its last four games.

The Yachtsmen dominated play most of the game, outshooting the Tigers 47-21. Falmouth was playing its fifth game in six days, counting two competitive exhibition games over the weekend in Massachusetts.

“As much as I don’t want to say that has anything to do with it, I think we’re emotionally drained,” Falmouth Coach Deron Barton said. “I think it showed a little bit in our intensity.

“You run into a hot goalie and don’t’ bear down, let them stay in the game, and that’s what happens.”

Daigle played steady throughout, keeping his position and allowing few rebound chances.

“He’s always at the same level – never up or down. A great job tonight,” Biddeford Coach Rich Reissfelder said.

While Falmouth was pouring in the shots, Biddeford’s defense gave up few odd-man rushes or point-blank shots.

“We did a good job keeping their guys on the outside,” Daigle said. “We were pressuring them at the blue line so they couldn’t just walk in.”

Once in the second period, Falmouth senior Brandon Peters got past the Biddeford defense, skating to the front of the net, but Daigle was in position for the save.

Biddeford, outshot 16-5 in the first period, began to create space in the second period. That was all Ruck needed. He gathered a pass down low from Curtis Petit and scored, 43 seconds into the second period.

“We came into the zone and started cycling down low,” Ruck said. “Got a nice pass from (Petit) and I just put it on the net. Got a lucky five-hole goal.”

Falmouth outshot Biddeford 12-11 in the second period and then 19-5 in the third.

“We certainly had chances, ample chances, to win the hockey game,” Barton said.

The best chance came with 2:30 left to play when Ruck went to the penalty box on a high-sticking call and the game’s only power play. The Tigers were pesky on the penalty kill, clearing it three times, with forward Kerry Crepeau winning faceoffs and tying up the puck.

“He’s our best faceoff guy and one of our best (penalty) killers because he works so hard,” Reissfelder said.

In the last minute, Daigle gloved a slap shot, stopped a wrister in traffic and blocked a high shot with his mask. Falmouth pulled its goalie with 38 second left, but the Tigers held.

Falmouth, while no longer invincible, remains the favorite in Western Class A.

“If I had to add up our performance over the last five games, I still come out with more positives,” Barton said. “Any team that is going to be successful in the playoffs has to overcome adversity in the season. This is our time to prove we can get through it, and we will.

“This takes the pressure off. We’ve been listening to people telling us how good we are. But you know what? We’re beatable. For these kids, that’s a blessing in disguise.”

Falmouth has a week off before hosting Lewiston Monday. Biddeford hosts St. Dominick on Saturday. Biddeford and the Yachtsmen meet again on Feb. 7, at Falmouth.