SKOWHEGAN — A 25-year-old Solon man will spend the next seven years in state prison after pleading guilty Wednesday to a charge of gross sexual assault of a child under 14.

William Quattrocchi was sentenced to 12 years behind bars with all but the seven years suspended. He also will serve four years of probation after his release and was ordered to undergo sex offender treatment. He will be registered as a sex offender for life, according to Maeghan Maloney, district attorney for Somerset and Kennebec counties.

Quattrocchi entered his plea Wednesday during the call of the unified criminal docket at the Skowhegan courts, but because the case is a felony, it is being prosecuted as a Somerset County Superior Court case, Maloney said.

Quattrocchi was charged in late December with sexually assaulting a 12-year-old boy. The case had been under investigation since November. During the investigation, police determined from interviews and computer evidence that Quattrocchi had sexual contact with the 12-year-old in 2012. Quattrocchi was already in custody on a probation hold for burglary at the time he was arrested on the new charges.

He was indicted by a Somerset County grand jury earlier this month and charged with gross sexual assault and unlawful sexual contact Nov. 23, 2012, in Solon.

Quattrocchi was sent to jail in 2011 on 25 convictions for burglary, theft and criminal mischief in New Portland, Solon, Embden and North Anson. He served concurrent nine-month sentences.

Court documents at the time said he was responsible for 11 burglaries, nine thefts and five incidents involving criminal mischief. Quattrocchi stole various items from 10 different residences, including firearms, tools, an outboard motor, alcohol, a chainsaw, a DVD player, cordless drills, a generator and returnable bottles. While doing so, he damaged doors, a propane heater, copper tubing, a medicine cabinet and two trucks between August 2010 and January 2011.

Doug Harlow — 612-2367

[email protected]

Twitter: @Doug_Harlow