The city of Portland has issued a permit for the demolition of an apartment house on Noyes Street that caught fire in November, killing six young adults.

City officials issued a permit Friday afternoon that gives the applicant 30 days to tear the 95-year-old building down, said city spokeswoman Jessica Grondin.

The permit was issued to Benjamin Construction of South Portland. The owner of the company, Edward H. Benjamin, said Friday that he is waiting for better weather before starting the demolition. In a letter to neighbors this month, he said the removal of the house will take two to four days. Benjamin declined to comment further Friday.

The demolition is expected to trigger strong emotions among relatives of those killed in the fire and among neighbors of the house, some of whom plan to hold a vigil for the victims when the building is torn down. Neighbors say the sight of the burned-out house is a constant reminder of the fire and the images they saw that morning.

Five people died from smoke inhalation as fire swept through the three-story house at 20-24 Noyes St. on the morning of Nov. 1. A sixth person jumped out of a window but was severely burned and died four days later. It was the state’s deadliest blaze in 40 years

Fire officials said last week the fire was started by discarded smoking materials that ignited the front porch of the building. Officials have said there were no working smoke alarms in the building and a back exit was blocked by debris. Three occupants of the building survived by jumping out a second-story window. Authorities also have said it appeared the building was being operated as an unlicensed rooming house, a use that requires more extensive fire protection equipment not present in the building.

At least four lawsuits have been filed against Gregory Nisbet, the building’s owner, on behalf of the victims.