LEWISTON – Top-seeded Falmouth did not get a shot on net for 10½ minutes, but the experienced Yachtsmen waited for their chance.

And it came.

Falmouth broke a scoreless tie with four goals in a 6½-minute span of the second period, then held on for a 4-2 victory over second-seeded Scarborough in the Western girls’ hockey final Wednesday at the Colisee.

Falmouth (16-4) will play Lewiston for the state championship at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Colisee.

Lewiston was a 2-1 double-overtime winner over Edward Little/Leavitt/Poland in the East final. Falmouth played Lewiston once this year, losing 4-0 on Jan. 14.

This will be the Yachtsmen’s second appearance in the state final. They lost to Greely in 2012.

Camden Carrier, Evie Clement, Sarah Hutcheon and Stone Carmichael scored for Falmouth, and Ally Hurdman made 21 saves. Sami Shoebottom scored twice for Scarborough (14-5-1), the defending state champion.

Scarborough controlled much of the first period but once the Yachtsmen got going, they took advantage.

“Scarborough is a team that always starts games strong,” Falmouth Coach Rob Carrier said. “Their intensity is through the roof. It took us a little while to weather the storm. “I felt the last three, four minutes of the first period, we started to grab the momentum back.”
The Yachtsmen actually outshot Scarborough 6-4 in the first period.

In the second, Falmouth got its first power play and capitalized quickly, with Carrier burying a crossing pass from Clement at 2:21.

“That was awesome,” Clement said. “It’s something we’ve been working on with our power play.”

Falmouth got a second power play a minute later and Clement got a loose puck in the slot, scoring at 3:54.

“For the majority of the game we put a lot of pressure on them,” Scarborough Coach Caitlin Cashman said. “But what we’ve struggled with this year is it takes one bump, one mistake (to lose momentum).
“They have a mature team … We have 16 underclassmen. As you mature you get used to this level of play. You can’t turn it on and off.”

When Scarborough got its first power play, it turned the puck over to Hutcheon at the red line. She raced in, roofing a short-handed goal at 7:43.

Carmichael rebounded an Abigail Lebel shot at 8:40 for a 4-0 lead.

Scarborough got life with a Shoebottom power-play goal at 11:40. When Shoebottom rebounded in a Kristen Murray blast at 13:39, the Red Storm closed to 4-2.

“(Shoebottom) is a great player and we knew that limiting her chances would be difficult,” Rob Carrier said. “We had to rely on Ally to make some game-saving shots.”

In the third, Scarborough had its best chances early with back-to-back power plays – including 1:17 of a five-on-three advantage. Hurdman made some nice saves, including a pad stop on a Shoebottom shot. The Yachtsmen defense, led by Martina St. Angelo, tightened and shut out Scarborough in the period.

“We were trying to push people out of the middle and trying not to panic,” St. Angelo said. “We had to angle (Shoebottom), push her off to the side.”

The Yachtsmen watched some of the Lewiston-Edward Little game. Falmouth knows it goes in as the underdog Saturday.

“It’s going to be a tough battle,” Rob Carrier said. “Just hope that when the puck drops we match the intensity that they’re going to bring.”

THE EAST final was a thriller with Allison Frechette scoring 4:10 into the second overtime as the top-seeded Blue Devils topped second-seeded Edward Little/Leavitt/Poland.

Lewiston is 19-0-1. Edward Little finished at 16-3-1.

After being shut out in two losses to Lewiston, Edward Little finally scored against the Blue Devils when Emma Martineau rebounded her own shot at 11:30 of the second period, giving the Red Hornets a 1-0 lead.

Lewiston pulled its goalie in the last minute. Erica Lemieux scored on a rebound with 43 seconds left to force overtime.

Frechette then scored in a scrum to send Lewiston to the state final.