An Aroostook County woman who accidentally swallowed a metal bristle from a grill brush, which then became lodged in her throat, while eating a burger in 2012 is suing two companies, one that makes the ManGrate grill brush and another that sells it.

Deborah Lamont of Presque Isle underwent a surgical procedure to have the piece of metal removed from her esophagus, according to the lawsuit.

Lamont is accusing the seller, M2M of Virginia, and the manufacturer, Precision Brush Company of Ohio, of negligence, liability and breach of warranty in her demand for an unspecified amount of money for her pain and suffering, medical expenses and lost wages.

She first filed the lawsuit in Aroostook County Superior Court on Jan. 5, but the case was moved to federal jurisdiction in U.S. District Court in Bangor on Feb. 20 at the request of Precision Brush on grounds that it involves out-of-state citizens and that Lamont says she has “incurred well over $75,000 in medical expenses alone,” Precision Brush’s attorney Teresa Cloutier said in a federal court filing.

Lamont and her husband, Brian, received a ManGrate grill as a gift from their son around June 2011 and used the brush that came with it to clean the grill on a weekly basis, the lawsuit states.

“On or about Aug. 19, 2012, Lamont ingested a metal bristle fragment that had dislodged from her ManGrate grill brush and became attached to a mushroom burger while it was cooked by Lamont on her ManGrate grill,” her attorneys, James O’Connell III and Alicia Curtis, said in an eight-page complaint.

Lamont’s lawyers claim in the complaint that the high-carbon steel used in the bristles of the brush made it susceptible to corrosion during “forseeable conditions” while in use and storage outdoors.