LEWISTON — Scarborough looked in serious trouble, trailing 3-2 and facing a five-minute penalty in the third period.

But the Red Storm scored three goals over the next six minutes and held on for a 5-4 win over Falmouth in a Western Class A boys’ hockey semifinal Saturday night at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee.

Fourth-seeded Scarborough (12-5-3) moves on to the regional final against No. 2 Cheverus. It will be the Red Storm’s third straight trip to the final. They lost to Falmouth the previous two years.

No. 1 Falmouth, the two-time defending state champion, is done at 14-6, three of those losses coming to the Red Storm.

Cam Nigro scored the last two goals for Scarborough. Sean McGovern also scored twice and Matt Caron added a goal.

Chris Camelio, Jake Grade, Hogan Tracy and Brandon Peters scored for Falmouth.

Scarborough goalie Ben Bragg made 28 saves. Falmouth’s Ryan Bonnvie stopped 18 shots.

Falmouth had eliminated Scarborough from the playoffs three years in a row.

“We just used the past three years as motivation,” McGovern said. “We just weren’t going to let it happen again.”

And after the five-minute major?

“You can’t let it bother you,” McGovern said.

The major penalty came at 6:52. But a Falmouth penalty led to four-on-four play, and McGovern scored the tying goal at 7:51.

When Falmouth was back to an advantage, Scarborough defenseman John Callahan went on a breakaway. His shot was blocked, but the Yachtsmen were called for hooking, making it four-on-four again. Nigro soon scored on the rebound of an Eric Murray shot, and Scarborough led 4-3 with 3:31 remaining.

After the five-minute major expired, the Red Storm found themselves on a power play, and Nigro scored on a give-and-go from Cam Smith with 2:09 left.

Falmouth called a timeout and pulled its goalie. The Yachtsmen scored quickly, on a Peters wrist shot at 13:26, cutting the deficit to 5-4. With the crowd on its feet, the remaining 94 seconds were filled with Falmouth pressure, but Scarborough held on.

“The whole idea was to end the cycle,” Scarborough Coach Norm Gagne said of finally beating Falmouth in the postseason.

Falmouth led 2-0 early. Scarborough tied it in the second period on a Caron goal that was initially waved off but then was awarded after a video review – now available in the playoffs.

“I don’t have anything bad to say about how we played,” Falmouth Coach Deron Barton said. “Scarborough was prepared and it was a dogfight.”

Kevin Thomas can be reached at 791-6411 or:

[email protected]

Twitter: KevinThomasPPH