AUGUSTA — Two Riverview Psychiatric Center patients were sentenced Tuesday to jail terms.

Anthony Caleb Barone, 24, pleaded guilty to three assaults, two of them occurring at Riverview in Augusta and a separate assault on two corrections officers at the Kennebec County jail, all within a three-month period last year.

Barone’s attorney, Lisa Whittier, told the judge that Barone had undergone a mental evaluation that indicated he was not criminally responsible, but that he chose to plead guilty instead.

Barone confirmed that to the judge on Tuesday during hearings in Kennebec County Superior Court at the Capital Judicial Center.

Assistant District Attorney Kate Marshall said Barone assaulted a woman on Aug. 18, 2014, at the hospital, then assaulted a maintenance engineer there on Oct. 29, 2014.

After those incidents, Barone assaulted two officers at the Kennebec County jail on Nov. 4, 2014. Marshall said one officer opened the door to the cell to deliver a meal tray to Barone, and when the officer turned to go, Barone struck him on the side of the head.

The second officer was injured when he helped take Barone to the ground, Marshall said.

“Mr. Barone was eventually Tased and cuffed,” she said.

Barone listened to the description of the events, and he told Mullen, “It all sounds pretty accurate.”

Barone, who has dark hair and a beard that are long and bushy, spoke quietly and sometimes hesitated with his answers.

Justice Robert Mullen sentenced Barone to four months and 17 days in jail for the offenses, time which Barone already has served and a sentence recommended by the prosecutor and the defense attorney. He also was fined $600, the mandatory minimum for two of the assault convictions.

Marshall said no restitution was ordered because the medical treatment for Riverview personnel was covered through workers’ compensation.

Marshall told the judge that Barone had no criminal record before these incidents.

She said the understanding was that Barone was to be released from jail Tuesday.

Affidavits filed in the court show that Barone was transferred to Riverview from Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center in Bangor because that facility “could not safely manage his assaultive behavior. Mr. Barone has a very longstanding history of repeated assaults on mainly psychiatric providers, both mental health workers, nurses, and today a maintenance worker who was working on our unit,” according to a Riverview staff psychiatrist who concluded, “His assaultive behaviors are due to years of antisocial behavior in which he releases his aggression towards others despite treatment of his underlying mental illness of schizophrenia.”

At a separate hearing, Charles D. Miles, 35, admitted violating conditions of probation by destroying a card reader at Riverview Psychiatric Center three days after he was in court for sentencing on other criminal mischief charges.

Miles, 35, was sentenced Feb. 17 in Kennebec County Superior Court to two years in prison with all but five months suspended for damaging hospital property on Aug. 31, 2014.

He was back in Riverview because he got credit for five months he had been held on those charges.

A written report filed by Miles’ probation officer says, “It became clear to this officer that (Miles) intends to continue to cause property damage or other violations in order to be transferred to the mental health unit at the prison. He does not believe he is getting any help at Riverview.”

A video shows Miles kicking the sallyport doors and punching and breaking a plastic card reader on the wall, according to an affidavit by an investigating officer with the Capitol Police.

Justice Robert Mullen ordered Miles to serve the unsuspended portion of the sentence, which puts Miles in the Maine State Prison for a year and seven months. He is expected to serve it in the prison’s Special Mental Health Unit.

Miles is in the custody of the commissioner of the Department of Health and Human Services because he was found not criminally responsible in 1999 for burning down the Skowhegan Fairgrounds and causing millions of dollars’ worth of damage.

Miles served 96 months in federal prison for making threats against the president in the early 2000s in connection with Miles’ anger about a war.