The occupant of a mobile home and his dog escaped injury Monday morning when fire ripped through the building on Butman Boulevard in Readfield, bringing firefighters from a number of local departments.

The blaze was reported prior to 11 a.m. at 14 Butman Boulevard, just off on Route 17 south of Maranacook High School.

“We’re in the process of doing an overhaul, taking care of hot spots,” said Readfield Fire Chief Lee Mank, just before 1 p.m. as firefighters remained at the scene.

Mank said the home was destroyed.

Mank said the first firefighters to arrive found heavy smoke and fire coming out of the roof.

“At this point it appears it’s going to be an electrical issue,” Mank said in responding to a question about the cause of the blaze.

All the departments in the Lakes Region Mutual Aid Association – Fayette, Manchester, Mount Vernon, Readfield, Vienna and Wayne – responded to the blaze along with units from Belgrade and Winthrop.

Mank said firefighters brought water from Maranacook Lake to battle the blaze.

The 1972 mobile home at that address was purchased at the end of last year by John Menthe, according to records at the Readfield Town Office.

Mank said he believes the home was occupied by a tenant rather than the owner.