A gas grill caught fire Saturday afternoon at a home on Deering Road in Gorham and spread to an adjacent garage and storage building, causing extensive damage, a fire official said.

The fire at 107 Deering Road was reported about 2:30 p.m., said Deputy Chief Jim Poitras. He said the homeowner was grilling chicken and the fire started when he left the grill to go feed the family pets.

When he returned, Poitras said, a fire had started either in the hose from the propane tank to the grill or in a coupling. The tank did not explode, he said, but the fire spread to a garage, a carport and the storage building. All were destroyed, he said, and two vehicles were damaged.

Poitras said he couldn’t offer an immediate estimate of the damage, but he said the garage was full of items and all were destroyed.

Poitras said firefighters put out the flames within about 45 minutes and cleared the scene about 5:30 p.m.

No one was injured, he said.