A Washington County man died in a fire in his house Tuesday afternoon after he tried to light his woodstove with gasoline, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Charles Rathbun, 65, of Columbia Falls attempted to light the woodstove with gasoline and became engulfed in fire, investigators said. His house at 1182 Tibbettstown Road sustained smoke and fire damage.

The fire was reported about 4 p.m. by a neighbor who saw smoke coming from the house. Rathbun, who would have turned 66 on Friday, is the seventh fire death of the year in Maine.