FALMOUTH — Having lost by a goal in two straight regional girls’ lacrosse finals, Kennebunk High knew a quick start was needed Wednesday in the Western Class B championship game against top-ranked Falmouth.

“We knew we had to prove to them that we were in it to win it from the very beginning, and I definitely think the first five minutes of each half is arguably the most important part because it sets the tone for the rest of the game,” Kennebunk midfielder Kyra Schwartzman said.

The Rams scored four unanswered goals in just over two minutes of the first half and two lead-increasing goals to start the second half. Then they slowed it at the end to preserve a 9-7 victory.

Second-seeded Kennebunk (14-1) advances to Saturday’s 6 p.m. state final at Fitzpatrick Stadium against defending champion Yarmouth (11-4).

Kennebunk has never won a girls’ lacrosse state title, losing in the 2008 and 2009 games.

“We beat them early in the season and (Yarmouth) always gets better as the season goes on but you know what, I think we’ve gotten a lot better as the season went on,” Kennebunk Coach Annie Barker said.

Rams midfielder Jenny Bush converted a free-position shot for the first goal just 33 seconds into the game. Schwartzman, Olivia Sandford and Bush converted on pretty passing plays from Gabby Fogg, Schwartzman, and Carly Sandler for a 4-0 lead that expanded to 6-1.

Falmouth (12-2), which beat Kennebunk in the regular season, cut the halftime deficit to 7-4, with Leigh Bernardy scoring twice.

Schwartzman took charge early in the second half. She set up Sandford for one goal, then converted herself on a pass from Sandler. Schwartzman, Sandford and Bush each scored three goals for Kennebunk.

Kennebunk’s defense was also critical. Bella Kudas made four of her six saves early in the second half and Falmouth also hit the post twice.

The Yachtsmen did score three straight goals as Kennebunk began to struggle to clear the ball. Bell’s second goal of the game with 5:26 left cut Kennebunk’s lead to 9-7.

Kennebunk secured the win by stalling in its offensive end for nearly all of the final four minutes with Fogg and Schwartzman doing most of the work.

“We just ran out of time. That’s why I think there should be a shot clock in girls’ lacrosse,” Falmouth Coach Kait Johnson said. “We took some bad shots, right at the goalie. It’s on us. I think we are 100 percent the No. 1 team in this conference and if we play them again, we beat them.”